For Ali’s thirty first birthday, we decided to go for a full day hike of his choosing. We are hoping to turn this into a habit for each of our birthdays. He picked Gothic Basin, a beautiful 9 mile hike in North Cascades. We prepared all our snacks and gear the night before and decided to wake up early so that we can finish the hike on time.
Ali had the hike’s coordinates saved on the navigation. Google Maps was estimating the closest point to the coordinates, so we ended up on the other side of the mountain with no access to the trail. We would have to drive for another 2 hours to reach to the starting point of the trail. After stopping and exploring the area we decided to just go with the flow and see what this place has to offer. The closest hike to us was Blue Lake, an easy 4 mile hike located in Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest. It took us 30 min to hike the trail. We spent around an hour fooling around the lake and munching on the snacks we had prepared.
Things we did and we shouldn’t have done:
- We decided to have a picnic on a log floating in the lake, Daniel ended up falling in the water and we didn’t have any extra shoes.
- We followed the navigation instead of following the online directions for the trail.
- We didn’t wake up early, we were actually 6 hours behind schedule.
How we rocked this trip:
- We didn’t let the unfortunate turn of events ruin our day, we explored an awesome river and ended up doing a fun hike.
- We passed by a small awesome town called Concrete.
- We had a dreamy moment of living in a farm with cows, chicken & horses lazing around.
- We had our rain gear and jackets!
- We had a great day!
Stay outdoors. Connect with nature.